|Title||Fourth Street Scene|
|Collection||Louisville Stereocard Collection|
Fourth Street scene in Louisville, KY.
Samuel W. Thomas notes, "Fourth Street looking south from Jefferson. At left is James Guthrie's Greek Revival block of business houses incorporating Owen's Hotel, designed by Gideon Shryock in the early 1850s. In 1874, the structure was renovated by architect Henry Wolters for Guthries's son-in-law, Dr. J. Lawrence Smith. At right is the east facade of the Italianate Masonic Temple and erected in the 1850s. It was replaced by the Paul Jones (later the Marion E. Taylor) Building in 1905. In background at left is the Central Market Building of about 1867 that later housed the Polytechnic Society, forerunner of the Louisville Free Public Library. It was replaced by the Kaufman-Straus Building, now part of the Galleria. At right in background is the spire of the Walnut Street Baptist Church of the early 1850s." Taken from The Filson Newsmagazine, volume 4, number 2.
|Photographer||Wybrant, Frank Louisville, Ky.|
|Year Range from||1872|
|Year Range to||1873|
|Place||Kentucky / Jefferson County / Louisville|
|Relation||Show Related Records...|