|Title||Warehouse of S.T. Suit and Company damage|
|Collection||Louisville Stereocard Collection|
S.T. Suit and Company warehouse destroyed by the August 14, 1872 tornado.
Samuel W. Thomas notes, "In early 1872, Maryland entrepreneur Samuel Taylor Suit was trying to corner the whiskey market by commissioning the local firm of Newcomb, Buchanan and Company to buy up all of the old bourbon it could secure. S. T. Suit and Company began construction of a warehouse and office designed by John Andrewartha, on the south side of East Main between Brook and First streets, diagonally across from the second Galt House. During construction, the structure collapsed internally. Four days later, August 13, 1872, its side walls fell during a wind storm. The structure was strengthened and rebuilt under the supervision of architect W. H. Redin. The scheme failed during the Panic of 1873 but it put Louisville on the fine whiskey map." Taken from The Filson Newsmagazine, volume 4, number 2.
|Photographer||Klauber, Louisville, Ky.|
|Year Range from||1872|
|Year Range to||1872|
|Place||Kentucky / Jefferson County / Louisville / East Main Street|
|Relation||Show Related Records...|